Dark, dreary and cold weather can leave you feeling tired and lazy. Your energy levels lower, and you can feel little to no motivation. That’s why slow, mindful morning rituals become an even more important part of your self-care during the colder seasons.
If you need a little inspiration, here are my top 5 rituals to start your morning right!
- Practice Gratitude
- Your alarm has gone off and it’s time to start the day, but before you reach for your phone and check emails, Instagram or Facebook, take just 2 minutes to close your eyes, set your intentions and start your morning with gratitude. This simple step can reset your entire take on the day, and inspire positivity in the face of another dark winter morning.
- After your mindful start, reach for aromatherapy to set the mood for your day. My go-to for winter mornings is a blend of lemon, frankincense and cedarwood. This grounding yet uplifting combination energizes and motivates you to make the most of your day. Add a couple of drops to your diffuser and take 5 deep breaths before moving on.
- Now, before anything else, reach for a glass of water. After a (hopefully) long sleep, it’s time to slowly wake your body up and encourage gentle detoxification before breakfast. I love a simple glass of water with freshly squeezed lemon or a combination of mint, filtered water and chlorella—a blue-green algae native to Japan and absolutely packed with nutrients like potassium, chlorophyll, magnesium and beta-carotene.
- Now, try a quick and gentle 1 minute stretch, or use a dry brush to encourage blood flow and healthy circulation after a deep sleep. This easy step will wake you up more quickly than your daily cup of coffee, without the crash!
- Now that you’re prepared to properly digest and assimilate nutrients, it’s time to eat! To prepare you for the day ahead, reach for a warm smoothie or cup of overnight oats filled to the brim with important nutrients and healthy fats. Remember to eat slowly and with intention. Chew your food thoroughly and put your spoon down between bites. Try to mindfully enjoy each and every bite.
It doesn’t take much time, but you’ll notice that starting your morning with focused intention and gratitude allows space for more positivity and joy. And at the end of the day, don’t worry—after all, spring is right around the corner!
Strawberry & Rose Overnight Oats
- ½ cup (heaping) rolled oats
- 2/3 cup homemade rose & cashew nut milk
- 1 cup soaked cashews
- 2 cups rose tea
- 1 soaked medjool date
- 1 tbsp chia seeds or ground flax
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup chopped organic strawberries
- Glug of dark maple syrup
- For the nut milk
- Place cashews in a bowl, cover with filtered water and soak overnight
- Boil water and pour over 2 tbsp rose petals - allow to steep overnight
- In the morning, add 2 cups of rose tea, cashews and medjool date to blender
- Blitz on high speed for about 1 minute
- Strain through a nut milk bag into a sterilized jar (keeps in fridge for approximately 5 days)
- For the oats
- Whisk together oats, chia, maple syrup, salt, vanilla, strawberries and cashew milk in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Spoon into a jar with a tight fitting lid
- Close and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, but preferably overnight before eating
- In the morning, stir and add a bit more nut milk if necessary
- Top with extra chopped strawberries and rose petals